Sunday, July 6, 2008

American FOOOOOOD


Today I introduced Junshi to The Taste of Chicago. Wow. It’s always entertaining showing someone from a different country/culture your hometown. You kind of realize how ridiculous things are when you stop and look at something from a new set of eyes.

Such as American FOOOOOD. Holy crap we are greasy hoofed pigs. Junshi politely asked me to explain the typical American festival foods:



  1. Funnel Cakes – “Ooooh…” he says, “What’s that???” “Oh!” I reply, “It’s a batter that is deep fried in oil and then you sprinkle sugar on top and sometimes pour sugary surapy strawberries on top.”
  2. Deep fried Twinkies – “Ooooh…” he says, “What’s that???” “Oh!” I reply, “It’s a sugary sponge like cake with frosting inside which is also deep fried in oil.
  3. Twisty potato chips – “Ooooh…” he says, “What’s that???” “Oh!” I reply, “It’s like a bag of potato chips, but it’s a mountain of them the size of 2 heads which are freshly deep fried so that the grease eats through the plate and moisturizes your hands.”
  4. Giant BBQ turkey leg. I don’t really need to explain this one… he simply asks: “How do your turkeys get so big and one person can finish all of that???”
Hrmm… I nudge him to look around at the crowd surrounding us and he bows in slight acknowledgement now understanding why Americans are so obese.

I’m not a big fried oil fan… but I know I will miss hamburgers, Chicago dogs, BBQ ribs, turkey legs, corn on the cob, and and and and… let me get back to you later so I can clean my puddle of drooooool. I love America! (and I think Junshi does too!!!)

No comments: