Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Clothesniverous Washing Machine...

Here we go again..... my lack of kanji reading once again has me stuck and terrified. My predecessor was luckily around to show me my new house... and his instructions for the washing machine were: "press the purple button first, then the green."

Walah! It worked!!! But when I took my clothes out for the first time - all of my underwear, and a few other items were ripped to shreds. just great...

Turn on the gentle spin cycle you say???? Oh... OK! Why don't you just tell me which of those buttons will do that...

Welcome to my new world.

So the top button is easy enough - the little pictures tell me how big of a load it is. phew! The second button??? The hiragana says: susugi which of course isn't in my dictionary.

Luckily when I was out shopping at the amazing 100yen shop, (like our $1 store but imagine 5 stories tall and a million times better) I found the clothes washing section which had loads of netted bags with pictures of shirts and underwear being protected from the washing machines. Ah ha! So I guess here in Japan they throw their clothes into these bags first so that the machine doesn't eat em up.

I was excited when I saw a sentence in English on the packaging- it read that each bag had a specific purpose. The purple for lingerie ONLY, and the other 2 were for SHIRT ONLY and BLACK SHIRT ONLY. they looked identical to me. but i bought all 3 to try out - i didn't want to ruin the last of my clothes and no one speaks good enough english for me to ask any questions.

I think I'm drifting back to the point I made with my shower situation - isn't Japan one of the most innovative and technologically advanced nations in the world?!?!!??! I don't see why they can't invent a washing machine that doesn't tear your clothes to shreds. hrmmm... but maybe i'm just being silly. I mean - since no one seems to own dryers here I guess theres no choice but to spin the heck out of the clothes. (it's seriously scary to hear my washing machine jump and rattle and whirl while i sit back and pray my clothes won't be eaten)

Hopefully these mesh specific bags will help me out here so I won't have to spend yet another 2 years washing my clothes by hand.

2 comments:

John Nguyen said...

My pred left me instructions on how to use the washing machine too. "susugi" means "rinse", so when that light is on it's going through the rinse cycle. Let me know how those bags work!

justin said...

Check out the Hajet thing they gave us when we first got here (the newspaper-y booklet with the comic drawing on front). It's got a list of appliance related kanji (but nothing for gentle cycle...).