Friday, August 8, 2008

First day on the job...

I started officially going to my high school yesterday. The school was nice enough to give me a week off to get settled, clean house, get to know my surroundings, and see Sapporo...

All that I was told was to report to my school from 9am - 3pm starting yesterday. I also had heard that I would have to give an introductory speech about myself in Japanese. I spent the last few days diligently writing one out and practicing... but when I got to the office Thursday morning there were only about 3 or 4 teachers milling about! It's still summer holiday so not a lot of people are around. Although the students have to report to school everyday to participate in their club activity (my school has volleyball, judo, brass band, chorus, baseball, tennis, archery, calligraphy and more)... I remember my supervisor telling me I could prepare for classes or go on the internet. I'm lucky to have my own laptop with internet connection although things like facebook and blogging are blocked.

I spent the first day skimming through the manuals that JET had given us at Tokyo Orientation. Luckily one of the teachers who was in that day came over to my desk and in my broken Japanese I was able to understand he wanted to show me "music." So I followed him up to the forth floor where I met my first group of students! It was the brass band club wrapping up for lunch. They couldn't stop giggling and trying to shove some poor student over to me to speak English. Finally there was a girl and a guy who came over to say Hi. Once the ice was broken, we had a good laugh. I found some pink sequence rabbit ears and put them on one of the jokester 'cool' guys and asked him to hop around for me. I think it made a good first impression! hahah...

For lunch I went down the road to a 7-11 and bought a packaged lunch which I had no idea what it contained. There was some gooey circular meat on a toothpick, rice balls with something in them, a sushi roll, and 2 sweet rice sticks which were wrapped in thinly sliced and fried tofu (i think.) My supervisor showed up later and he tried to help me set up my phone at AU but they wouldn't let me get a contract since I didn't have my residence card yet. I'll have to wait til the 21st... Not too shabby for a first day on the job.

No comments: