Sunday, August 3, 2008

Meeting the principle for the first time... whoops.......

so um... I need to start practicing the subtleties in the Japanese language.

I was introduced to the principle of one of my High Schools on Thursday. When he asked me how I found Japan to be so far I said:

"KIRAI DESU NE!" (thinking I said - it is so beautiful!)

but when I saw him gasp and give a look to the other teachers I instantly knew I did something terribly wrong. luckily another teacher who spoke English was there to tell me what I had said: "I HATE JAPAN!"

whoooooops....

What I meant to say was: "KIREI desu ne."

one damn vowel.

at least it broke the ice and got us laughing during that crucial first impression time period!

2 comments:

John Nguyen said...

lol, that's so typical! Get used to that while your learning. My japanese sensei in university told us a story about her friend who was in Japan and was opening up a bank account. Instead of saying "Would you like my hanko?" she said "Would you like my manko?". You know what a hanko is but here, manko means "pussy". The bank teller got super embarassed and couldn't look her in the eye after that, lol.

Anonymous said...

Callie!!! too funny - I love reading about your adventures my dear ~* ann