Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Teaching idioms...

One of my JTE's (Japanese Teacher of English) asked me to explain a bunch of idioms to the 3rd year optional English class...

Idioms are really tricky to explain - especially when your students have a hard enough time understanding 'simple' plain English. Most of them freak out and clam up when I ask a simple question like: "How are you?"

So I gave it a think and decided to draw a few pictures and use crazy Callie actions and charades to give them relationship cues to the words in hopes that they will have an easier time remembering the idioms come entrance and TOEIC exam time.

I think my teacher had a kick out of my lesson cause he photographed my drawings after class and left a printout on my desk to say thanks! hahah (sadly some of the best and hilarious ones were on the board previous to this)

oh yeah.... and I KNOW I can't spell so please don't point that out to me! whoops... I'm... um.... trying to challenge my students to correct my mistakes!!!

2 comments:

Erickson said...

Oooo!! What a fancy stuff you have in your classroom. Even better than we had in Kenya. Remember we had to use the cheap and terrible blackboard. Ha!

Callie Sorensen said...

hahah... I know!!!!! My schools here in Japan are just a touch different than Rev. Muhoro in Kenya, eh?????

when you comin to visit???