Tuesday, November 4, 2008

FIRST SNOWFALL TODAY!!!! where did fall go???

Ahhhh..... Fall colors..... Hokkaido is gorgeous in the fall. But you better pay close attention and don't you dare bat your eyes for more than a second if ya wanna see the colors - cause they changed SOOOOO fast!!!!!!

Luckily I was able to catch the colors on Gingko Avenue in Hokkaido University which was gorgeous!!! These photos don't even do it justice!




But then..... this morning we had our FIRST SNOWFALL IN SAPPORO!!!!!!! holy crap.... At school I was chatting with teachers and telling them how the snow is falling so early and they quickly corrected me and said "oh no no no... it is 8 days later than normal." They also quickly reassured me: "Callie - this is just the beginning. Just you wait!" uh oh....

So yeah.... as I'm sure you can imagine its damn cold nowadays... I had to get my heater working and put towels over all of my windows to try and conserve as much heat as possible! I also went to COSTCO and bought yet another warm blanket!!!!!

This is my heating system for the entire house... Its some kind of big scary kerosene heating machine. I had to pay 30,000yen ($300) to fill up the big gas tank outside (and that didn't even fill up the whole thing!)

And then the gas gets pumped into this guy who spits out flames and lovely kerosene fumes. So in my living room right around the heater is warm - but my bed room and other rooms are FREEEEEZING. I think soon I'll be moving my bed into the living room to keep warm.

I also put a pot of water on the top of the heater so it acts like a humidifier. People say the kerosene sucks all the moisture out of the air.

I'm terrified this old guy will burn my whole house down so I normally turn him off at night and during the day when I'm at work. But my supervisor told me I could leave it on all day so my pipes don't freeze up. But he then added: "But if your house burns down - I did not tell you to leave it on." Ahhhh- that's reassuring!

OK.... now I know I said I would stop questioning things here in Japan... but allow me to ask one simple question: WHY IN THE WORLD DOESN'T JAPAN USE CENTRAL HEATING!??!?!?!??!?!!

Wish me luck staying warm (and alive) this winter!!!!!!!!

No comments: