Saturday, November 8, 2008

I miss the rains down in Africa...

Lately, I've been getting a lot of letters and emails from teachers, students, friends, and co-workers from Kenya.... For a long while I didn't have any contact with my friends in Kenya so I think it made it a bit easier to move on. The other day I received the sweetest email from the Deaf workers at the HIV testing center I used to volunteer at. They got me up to date on all of the gossip and happenings back in Kenya. Made me really miss the life I used to have there! :(

Then, just this week I was tracked down by a Peace Corps Volunteer whom I've never met. She gave me the sad news that my Kenyan mama who I lived with for 3 months is in the hospital and needs a kidney transplant which will cost 3,000,000 shillings ($50,000). Ufff.... sooo sad... That's a HUGE amount for us Westerners let along a low income Kenyan family. :( I have no idea how to help her.

I guess I've been keeping so busy since I returned home from Kenya that I haven't had much time to miss the life I left behind there... but when I start hearing from people it conjures up so many mixed emotions.

Then... last Thursday at breakdancing class they started playing this great remix of, "I miss the rains down in Africa...." I think I almost started bawling!!!!! Hahahahah... I know it sounds cheesy but geez - I really DO miss the rains in Africa and walking through my village in knee deep red mud... I want to get back to see my students before they graduate next year, but when in the world will I have the time or money to get over there?!?!?! Flights for Xmas time were $3,000!!! Once my students graduate - they will disperse back to their home villages and it will be near impossible to track them down. And quite a few are from Somalia, Sudan, Uganda, Tanzania and various refugee camps. I grew so close to so many of my students so it breaks my heart when I think that I might not ever see them again.

But hey.... this is life, eh??? Luckily I have a new group of students to focus on and grow close to. It's a lot more difficult here because of the language barrier. Also - they go home every day! In Kenya, I was living, eating, working and breathing with my students 24/7. I was their teacher, role model, mother and friend.






No comments: