Saturday, November 15, 2008

Janken is the solution...

Janken (otherwise known as: rock, paper, scissors) can solve any problem here in Japan...

In the States, we all know how to play rock paper and scissors... but for us it's just a game you play to kill time.

Here in Japan, Janken is everywhere and is used in every situation!!! Kids, teenagers and adults all use Janken to solve any problem or decision they may have. My students use it to see who will come to the front of the class to write an answer on the board, my teachers use it to see who has to supervise the cleaning duties for the day. Even last night in breakdancing class - we had to do janken..... I lost and had no idea what I would have to do - but soon realized we were playing janken to see who had to do a solo flying spinning kick in the opening of our dance performance!!!!!! CRAP!!!!!!!

After my breakdancing class I started wondering whether Janken was purely luck or whether I actually sucked because I was unaware of some hidden strategy. After some google research I came across the "World Rock Paper Scissors Society" which reports to have been around since 1842!!! oooooooh... who would have known!?!?! But on this website they have advanced players strategy tips which have you examine your opponent to see whether they are a "rock", "scissors" or "paper" type of person. This close type of examination along with some other tips and tricks will supposedly allow you to accurately guesstimate what your opponent will throw! Geeeeez... I guess I have some studying to do if I don't want to get stuck in the front of the stage doing crazy aerial flying spinning kicks. ufffff.....

3 comments:

Lou said...

As the 2006 Chicagoland Rock Paper Scissors champion, I can attest that it indeed does take more than luck. There's a certain nonchalant skill behind it. I didn't win the $50,000 grand prize, but I got a free trip to Vegas, so I was pleased :)

Callie Sorensen said...

you are crappin me lou!!!! are ya serious?!?!? if you are then dish out your secrets. i need them PRONTO!!!!

Lou said...

A key trick of the trade is regional reliance. For instance, folks in them there southern states always will rely on rock, tried and true. It will be a little more difficult in Japan, but you must scope out your competition first to observe if they have any repetitive patterns--good luck!