Sunday, November 9, 2008

Language Exchange Partners and KY

I've been meeting up with quite a few language exchange partners whom I've met through the International Communication Plaza in Sapporo... It's been great practice for my Japanese and also has been good to make some new friends.

I had been corresponding with one person for quite awhile through e-mail at first. They were so cute in their e-mails and wrote: "I'm little and old. Do you still want to meet me?" Hahahaha.... OF COURSE I DO!!!!!!! I love little old people. I still can't always distinguish male and female names - so I was picturing this wrinkly little old man with a cane... but when I went to the clock tower to meet them... it ended up being this sweet sweet grandmother who's trying to learn English. We had coffee and chatted and she showed me pictures of her recent trip to France. She told me she had 2 tickets for Nou (an old traditional style Japanese theater) and was shocked when I told her I'd go with her in 2 weeks! hahah... She kept saying: "But I'm old. Are you OK to go with me???" Awwww.....

I also meet 2 guys regularly who are the same age as me... We normally meet once a week for a coffee or bite to eat. They are both trying to learn English and are quite cute about it. They are sooo nervous to speak but we're slowly getting better at it... Today I taught them some English cellphone texting slang such as: c u l8r, 2day, hru?, etc...

Then they told me that high school kids use similar slang when talking. I asked for an example... They said the most popular slang is: "KY."

I tried to get the exact translation for this - but I'm still not too sure exactly what it means... (maybe something along the lines of a person who is the butt of a joke or who doesn't know whats going on) Then, he kept saying... "Do you have KY??? I have KY!!!!" I tried to ignore the American connotation with KY... but after he kept repeating it I couldn't help but finally break out laughing. Then I had to explain to the 2 poor guys what KY was in America. We had to use his electronic dictionary to search for the word. hahahaah... When he finally realized what he had been asking me for, you should have seen the look of shock/terror/embarrassment on the poor guy's face!!!!! hahahah...

No comments: