Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Fishy Japanese medicine...

Uff.... together with my Japanese exam, loads of students having the flu and some other personal crap I've been going thru... my body finally caved in and got sick! ufffffff..... not fun...

My school sent me home early yesterday so I could go to the doctor. Of course it was a challenge finding a doctor that could speak English... but my JET advisor recommended me to go to this ladies' clinic. It was like stepping back into the 70's... the decor, the carpeting, the old skool examining table and meeting room. But the doc surprisingly spoke great English!!!! phew!!!! He took one look at my throat and told me I had tonsillitis. I had no idea what that was but it didn't sound too good.... They sent me into this room and had me breathe in this psychedelic foaming steaming clear crazy bong looking contraption for 5 minutes... I was coughing uncontrollably... but I've learned to just do as they say and not ask too many questions. hahaha....

Then he gave me loads of these silver condom wrapper looking packages.... He didn't explain what they were but instead just said take one of each 3x a day for 7 days... Take a look at the video below of me trying out the meds... ewwwww....... I still am completely blown away that Japan hasn't caught on to the whole "capsule/pill" invention yet.... Instead you swallow these gross powders and inhale crazy fumes. I swear I gag every time I have to take these crazy rotting fishy miso tasting powder drinks!!! ewwwww....

video

And it doesn't end there.... He somehow convinced me to get on the exam table to get a PAP smear. The PAP examination room is this strange mysterious room with a magic curtain... your legs go under the curtain into another room which you can't see........ (sorry for those of you who don't like details... but.....) All I know is that he did NOT use gloves!!!!! EWWWWWW.... are you serious!??!?! What the !(@!(*&@(!*&@????? I later read online that in Japan many doctors do not use gloves because they want to show their patients that they respect them... and I guess by using gloves it makes the patient feel as if they are "dirty." @*#(!*&#(*!@&#)(!@ I am still quite disgusted by it..... but hey! This is Japan... :) and I guess I can't complain too much because I only paid an equivalent of $8 for the check up, exam and meds!

Oh deary me... each day is quite the adventure...

No comments: