Monday, December 15, 2008

Niseko!!!

This past weekend, a group of us Sapporo JETs decided to go on our first skiing/snowboarding adventure!!!!!! We took 2 cars and made a road trip out to Niseko to hit the slopes (and carve some GNARLY lines) on Annupuri.

All of us were absolutely clueless, so we decided to book a skiing lesson on Saturday and then a snowboarding lesson on Sunday... I felt soooo bad for our Japanese instructors since we were OUTTA CONTROL! We were all crashing, diving, sliding down the mountain with absolutely no control.

At the end of Day 1, a few of us decided to take a gondola to the top of the mountain and ski down.... ooooooh boy what a mistake that was!!!!!! Some tumbled down the whole way on their ass.... as for me I went FLYING down - screaming at the top of my lungs cause I couldn't STOP!!!! I made the friggin' "V" which I was taught in my lesson but I think it only gave me turbo speed. I finally forced myself to wipe out on the steep section so I wouldn't die... but I landed smack on my wrist. (I was too afraid to land on my bum since my tailbone was still badly bruised from my bike wipe out the week before.) But all was good because at the bottom of the mountain some cute rescue first aid men iced me up and we sang happy birthday for one of the guys who had a birthday! The rest of the gang finally found me in the first aid pit and had to drag me back to the hostel.

Day 2 was even worse.... snowboarding... UFFFF..... I spent the entire lesson on my ass and sliding down the mountain. At least I was smart enough not to try the mountain slope... we stuck to the steep bunny hill. We all wobbled out of there with whiplash, more bruised tailbones, sore muscles and more... but it was well well worth it!!!

We were able to scarf down a big meal, take a long bath and warm up by the fire at the cozy hostel cabin!

We're already in the midst of planning our next snow adventure. Hopefully next time will go a bit smoooother. YIKES!

To see pictures from the weekend you can go to: http://callieinjapan.shutterfly.com/1225













above: jeshi in his creepy formal xmas skiing attire



above: our dysfunctional skiing/boarding family

below: one of crystal's wipeouts and a picture of the split second where I was able to stand on my board!

No comments: