Friday, August 28, 2009

Tokyo

Justin and I decided to take 2 extra days off to explore Tokyo. I haven't been back to Tokyo since our orientation a year ago - so I was excited to explore the crazy crazy city of Tokyo!!!

During Tokyo Orientation I met some fellow TOAs (Tokyo Orientation Assistants) who lived in and around Tokyo. I asked what I should do. Everyone started with the usual Tokyo Tower, Edo Museum... blah blah.... but I wasn't in the mood for sightseeing as such so I asked them for something crazy, wacky or fun....... this is TOKYO!!! oooooooh... then I found out about THEME RESTAURANTS!!!!! YES!!! right up my alley! Tokyo has a few theme restaurants dotted around Shinjuku, Shibuya and other places... The most famous one is the one from Kill Bill which is set in a gorgeous old fashioned Japanese restaurant and has a NINJA theme!!!! I guess they do flying ninja shows and have amazing food... but it sets you back over $100.... so we asked for another option... then we heard of LockUp... All I was told is that it has a police/prison theme... oooh.... and is A LOT cheaper. I was SOLD!

So Justin and I went off to Shibuya to find this place... We first stopped off to say hello to Hachiko. He is pretty famous these days since there's a movie about him (Hachiko: A Dog's Story) with Richard Gere which was coming out the following weekend.







We wanted to go in and make reservations for later on in the evening, but as we walked in we were instantly and magically transported into a crazy haunted house!!! there were mummies in electric chairs screaming, the floor was moving and shaking, smoke was flying and we were screaming our bloody heads off..... Justin and I were NOT fans of being scared.... we held onto eachother for dear life and made a mad dash through the haunted maze until we FINALLY got to the 'reception desk.' We said FUNK IT - we'll eat RIGHT NOW cause there was no way we were going to have to go through that haunted house again!!!!! hahah.... we sat for about 15 minutes in this dark hallway with crazy scientific electric neon currents under our feet before a Japanese lady in a sexy police outfit came up to us - put us in handcuffs and led us through this dark tunnel to our jail cell. she opened the bar doors, un-handcuffed us and then locked us in!!!!!!! WT!?!??!

Then we were brought our drink menu.... there were soooo many fun awesome science horror drinks... Justin went for the smoking lethal long island iced tea and I went for the blood beaker syringe one. Even the food was a bit wacky yet delicious... and it only set us back about $20 each for drinks and food and poopin our pants. I wanna come back to Tokyo to explore the other theme restaurants. There's also an Arabian Rock one!!!!!





















We stayed with my friend Lindsey who was in Peace Corps Kenya with me. Now shes living just outside of Tokyo teaching at a pre-school/kindergarten. It was great to reminise about Kenya and catch up with her new crazy life in Tokyo.

Another stop we made in Tokyo was shopping in Harajuku, with all the crazy colorful cosplay (crazy anime costumes and maid outfits)...































We also went into the 6 story toy store which was CHOCK FULL of crazy cuteness...













... and creepy dolls and trendy Hello Kitties...















2 months before we came to Tokyo we booked tickets to go to the Ghibli Museum in Mitaka.
















We weren't allowed to take pictures inside of the museum, but the museum transported us into the creative worlds that Hayao Miyazaki creates...

I highly recommend watching his films... and then visiting this fun fun fun museum. I only wish I was a child so I could jump in and around on the neko bus!!!














We also went to Akihabara, the electronic district. The streets were FILLED with electrontics.... TVs, video games, electronic dictionaries (all the electronic dictionaries in this store were playing Obama's speech! haha)

We also wanted to see the otakus (weird geeks) who are out and about around the electronic stores and zillions of maid cafes.

Below you can see a pic of the many many billboards advertising the maid cafes!!! Sadly I couldn't convince Justin to go. Maybe next time.



















Instead, we went to Odaiba which has great views across to Tokyo. We went to little Hong Kong for some grub and took a stroll outside around Odaiba and the walkways...






















In one of the zillion shopping centers in Odaiba there were fun American Gladiator type courses and also this brainwashing kids game where they made vacuuming into a fun sport.... maybe the hope was that when the kids go home the parents could convince them that vacuuming up the house is fun!






We then headed over to the technology/robot museum. We met ASIMO the robot, creepy group robots, a baby seal robot which SCREAMED when Justin tried to pet him... and I got to try on my very own robot tail!!!!


































video



what a fun time in Tokyo.... there is waaaaaaay too much to see and do! i def need to make another trip down there ;-)

No comments: