Thursday, September 24, 2009

Day 6: Day 2 in Koya-san

We were woken up by a gong at 5:30am to go to the morning prayer service. We went into the main hall and sat seiza for an hour as we watched the two monks chant and go through the meditation. After the service we went straight for breakfast for another round of the vegetarian cuisine. I had to keep from laughing as I watched my Dad peek into all the bowls and lids trying to figure out what everything was.... yet again...



After breakfast we went back to the room to relax and enjoy our zen room with the beautiful garden view. We took our bags down to check out. My dad wandered as I checked out… and as my Dad was wandering the monk began to CHAT ME UP!!!! Huh?!?!?! Are monks supposed to do that? He started off by asking me if it was OK to ask a personal question… I said of course… and it started off ok… he wanted to know what I was doing, where I was living, etc… so I told him I was a High School English teacher in Sapporo, Hokkaido. He was amazed and then was telling me how bad his English was. He then proceeded to tell me that if he had a beautifuuuul English teacher like me, then he would be studying every minute of every day!!!! Umm…. It didn’t feel right coming from a monk! Then my Dad came over and he said… ooooh… this is your dad? He is also handsome. Now I know where you get your bright smile and good looks from. Oh deary me!!! Hahaha… He then was hinting he was coming up to Hokkaido… but that’s when we said our polite farewells and took off. hrmm...


We spent the morning strolling around and exploring the temple complexes and venturing inside of them... I absolutely loved Koya-san and would highly recommend anyone to go there for at least one night!








































































No comments: